Friday, September 4, 2009

26th August - First elective day

26th of August was my first day of "Bead and paper" elective. I decided to run this elective with Gurleen, with two superviser/teachers; Ms. Ranasinghe and Ms. Lout. Basically what we do in this elective is; to make goods from the paper, which is known as "Origami" in Japanese and "Folding papers" in English. For beads works, we'll make something from those small beads. I'm thinking to start off with something easy. I have got all the beads from Japan, because I didn't know where I can get the stuffs in Sri Lanka. So, I'm thinking to make Initial letters of the students in my elective.

This elective is for grade 6 to 8, with 10 people. I chose these grades, because I was quite sure that these age group girls and boys like to do Origami. And especially for girls, I thought they'd love to do beads work.

The elective will start off with Origami first. It will continue for a month, and then we will start bead work for the next month, which is in September.

I made the examples of Origami before the elective day, so that kids will understand the shape of the items, and it'll be easy for them to choose which ones they want to make. I have made about 15 items and we made 3 items today; a cup, balloon and ninja star (throwing star). We also made a lily, but we weren't able to complete it, so we will finish it off first for the next elective (9th September). Unfortunately I do not have a picture as an evidence, but I will keep a signature of the superviser in my homework diary as another evidence.

Review;
  • We (Gurleen and I) came to the class late, when all the kids were already there and waiting for us to start. So from next time, I will not be late so that we can start on time.
  • The elective did not go on as smooth as I expected. Gurleen didn't know how to make all the items I made. This is my fault, because I taught her only the easy items so that she needed the books in her hand to teach the kids how to make. So, from next time, before the elective starts, I will first teach her how to make those items, so that the elective will move on smoothly and she can help the kids, without asking me.

Next elective is going to be on 9th September and we will be making initial names of kids in the elective. I have taught Gurleen how to make her initial, G. Also I will make one for myself to show them as examples. After making them, we will make those initials as the key-chains to put it on their bags or pencil case.

No comments:

Post a Comment