Thursday, March 17, 2011

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund

The earthquake and tsunami is now one of the world's top news. It was the largest earthquake in Japanese history. Nearly 2000 have died, and many are still missing, have no idea if they are alive or not. My family and relatives are in Tokyo and they are safe, but the loss of some Japanese means a lot to me, and it created a hole in my heart. It is not my thing to just sit and pray for a fast recovery.
I have organized a fund raiser called "Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund" with Yuko in grade 11 (also Japanese) from 18th March to 30th March. Japanese Community in Sri Lanka has started a fund rasing from 17th to 31st, therefore I made the deadline of the fund raiser on 30th, so that I can collect the money at the end of the 30th and give it to the Japanese Community by 31st. The money that is collected is going to the Japanese Red Cross and will be used for the people. An account is already created in the Business Office, and got a permission from the principle. Unfortunately I failed to put this on the school news letter, as it took me two days to collect the information and finally done this action.
The money that is earned from the Food and Fun Fair is also going to Japan. My family is calling me from Japan, letting me know the situations. They are horrible and I feel very sorry for them for having difficult time. I really do hope that this fund raiser is going to help some people, at least one person in Japan, who's affected from this earthquake and tsunami.

No comments:

Post a Comment